Hamas is currently considering freeing a number of hostages as part of a potential ceasefire agreement timed around the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr and the days that follow, according to individuals with direct knowledge of the situation, as reported by Kan 11 News on Friday evening.
Qatar is said to be playing a major role in the discussions, working in tandem with the United States to facilitate progress.
While the specific demands from Hamas and the official stance of Israel remain unclear, initial indications suggest that Edan Alexander, a soldier who holds American citizenship, could be among the captives released if a deal is reached.
Earlier in the week, it was revealed that insiders familiar with the talks noted that Israel is already aware of the terms outlined in an Egyptian plan. That proposal reportedly calls for the release of five living hostages, including Alexander.
The same plan is believed to include an immediate halt to fighting as a first step, creating space for “deeper negotiations” and the development of a roadmap that would ultimately lead to the release of all remaining hostages in stages, matched by a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.
On Thursday, Axios reported that a new offer was put forward by the U.S., conveyed to Hamas through Qatari intermediaries, in an effort to secure Alexander’s release and break the current impasse in ceasefire discussions.
This latest proposal is said to involve Hamas releasing Alexander in return for a public statement by President Donald Trump urging calm in Gaza and pushing for a renewed push toward a long-term truce.
“There is no deal yet,” a U.S. official told Axios.
An Israeli source referred to the new U.S.-Qatari initiative as “more of an idea than a fully developed plan.”
{Matzav.com}The post Report: Hamas In Talks To Release Hostages For Eid Al-Fitr Ceasefire first appeared on Matzav.com.