Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is expected to withdraw his nomination of former Navy commander Eli Sharvit to lead the Shin Bet later today, just hours after the unexpected announcement sparked backlash from political allies and claims of ulterior motives from opponents.
Netanyahu made the announcement naming Sharvit as the successor to outgoing Shin Bet head Ronen Bar early Monday, in a move that reportedly blindsided senior defense officials. The choice quickly drew attention due to Sharvit’s alleged past involvement in anti-government demonstrations, and the continued controversy around Bar’s dismissal, which is linked to a criminal investigation involving individuals close to the prime minister.
A source familiar with Netanyahu’s current considerations told The Times of Israel Monday afternoon that the premier was leaning toward canceling Sharvit’s nomination, although no reason was provided.
The source noted that Netanyahu had not yet finalized a decision. A spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office offered no comment on the matter.
Earlier reports in Hebrew media suggested that Netanyahu was under pressure from political partners to abandon the nomination because of Sharvit’s presumed participation in 2023’s widespread protests against proposed judicial reforms.
According to a Ynet article published in March 2023, Sharvit had been seen demonstrating on Kaplan Street in Tel Aviv along with other ex-military leaders. The report stated that he did not advocate for reservists to refuse service, but voiced apprehension about the judicial overhaul plans.
Sharvit has also expressed support for the 2022 maritime border agreement with Lebanon — a deal Netanyahu, who was in the opposition at the time, had vehemently opposed. Additionally, earlier this year, Sharvit authored an op-ed critical of former U.S. President Donald Trump’s environmental policies.
Sharvit is “not suitable to head the Shin Bet,” wrote Likud MK Tally Gotliv on social media, adding that she expected the nomination to be canceled.
“If he protests, he will not be the head of the Shin Bet. Let him continue to protest,” said Likud lawmaker Nissim Vaturi during an interview with the Knesset Channel.
A Channel 12 report, citing no specific sources, claimed that Netanyahu was aware of Sharvit’s political activism when selecting him and believed he was still the right man for the job. However, the report said Netanyahu was urged by his wife Sara to reverse course. The channel added that Netanyahu’s aides pointed to the anti-Trump article as one of the reasons for his likely reversal.
The Prime Minister’s Office formally unveiled Sharvit’s candidacy in a 7 a.m. statement, noting that seven individuals had been interviewed for the position. The statement praised Sharvit’s leadership in enhancing naval defenses and overseeing strategic missions against Israel’s enemies, including Hamas, Hezbollah, and Iran.
The announcement stunned many, as Sharvit had not been listed among the previously reported four leading contenders. According to The Times of Israel, Defense Minister Israel Katz only became aware of the decision when the official statement was released.
The statement said that Netanyahu “is convinced that Sharvit is the right person to lead the Shin Bet on a path that will continue the organization’s glorious tradition.”
Doubts have been raised about Sharvit’s fit for the role due to his apparent lack of experience in domestic intelligence matters typically handled by the Shin Bet. Critics have pointed to his lack of fluency in Arabic and limited exposure to Palestinian issues, though such gaps are not unheard of among previous Shin Bet directors.
Avigdor Liberman, chair of the Yisrael Beytenu party, told public broadcaster Kan that while Sharvit was an “excellent” officer, his selection prompted significant concern.
“I know Sharvit, he was an excellent Navy commander,” Liberman said. “However, he has no intelligence background, he has no training in that, no relevant knowledge, so the considerations that led to his appointment raise many questions.”
Unless Netanyahu pulls back, the nomination would need to pass through a vetting panel before being submitted to the cabinet for approval.
Netanyahu is attempting to replace Ronen Bar, who was officially removed by the cabinet earlier this month. However, Bar continues in his role for now due to a High Court injunction halting the dismissal while it reviews legal challenges. The court allowed Netanyahu to continue interviewing potential successors during the proceedings.
Netanyahu has said he lost confidence in Bar after the catastrophic Hamas-led massacre on October 7, 2023, which saw thousands of terrorists breach Israel’s southern border, killing around 1,200 people and abducting 251 others, sparking the war in Gaza.
However, Netanyahu’s critics allege that the true reason for Bar’s firing lies in an ongoing Shin Bet investigation into suspected links between top Netanyahu aides and Qatar, a major supporter of Hamas. They point out that Netanyahu continued to work closely with Bar for over a year after the attack and that Bar was actively involved in ceasefire and hostage negotiations.
The so-called “Qatargate” investigation appeared to escalate on Monday, as two of Netanyahu’s aides central to the case were arrested. Netanyahu was also summoned to provide testimony, though he is not considered a suspect.
Some have questioned the timing of the nomination process, arguing it’s inappropriate to name a replacement before the High Court hearing on April 8 regarding Bar’s ouster.
“The prime minister decided this morning to continue his campaign against the judicial system and lead the State of Israel toward a dangerous constitutional crisis. The appointment of a head of the Shin Bet must be made only after a High Court decision,” said National Unity party leader Benny Gantz.
Sharvit served as commander of the Israeli Navy from 2016 to 2021, which included overseeing operations during the May 2021 conflict with Hamas. Since retiring from the military, he has held several executive roles in the civilian sector, including CEO of the renewable energy company Elgry Eco Energy.
Earlier this month, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir appointed Sharvit to a committee of former senior officers tasked with assessing the military’s actions and investigations following the October 7 attacks.
Ronen Bar, for his part, has vowed not to step down until all hostages held in Gaza are returned and a state commission of inquiry is established to investigate the October 7 events — a move the current government strongly opposes.
{Matzav.com}The post Report: Netanyahu Seen Likely To Reverse Pick For New Shin Bet Head After Allies Protest Choice first appeared on Matzav.com.
31
Mar
Category:
Recent comments